Use an old mobile phone as a security camera
An old Android or iPhone can be used as a home security camera. You will need to choose a security camera app and many of them have features you would be looking for like local streaming, cloud streaming, recording and storing footage. Some would also include motion detection and alerts.
One choice is called Alfred. Alfred is free to use and gives you a remote view of your live feed, motion detection with alerts, free cloud storage, a two-way audio feed and use of both the front and rear cameras. To unlock additional features, like higher-resolution viewing and recording, zoom capabilities, ad removal and 30-day cloud storage, you can upgrade to Alfred Premium. The basic steps are:
• Download Alfred software – on both your old phone and your current phone and/or tablet.
• On your current phone, swipe through the introduction and click on Start – Select Viewer and Next.
• Finally, you must sign in with a Google account.
Those are the simple steps, but read more about it on their website.
Tip of the month
Making your mobile phone last longer
Unless you like the newest gadget as soon as it comes out, here are some tips to make your mobile phone last as long as possible:
1. Don’t skip the important operating system updates. Android and iPhone both offer automatic app updates, which should be enabled by default. You can check on an Android phone by opening the Play Store, sliding out the menu from the left side of the screen, tapping on Settings and making sure the Auto-update apps option is selected. If you have an iPhone, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and make sure the App Updates option is in the On position.
2. Delete unused apps. On an iPhone, long-press until the apps start wiggling, then tap the X on the app you want to remove. Android users have a few more options but can follow a similar approach: Long-press, select the “i” that shows up for App Info and then choose Uninstall.
3. Avoid overworking and overheating your phone battery. Being July, we have heat and lots of it. If you are outside for any length of time, do not leave your phone in direct sunlight. It will shut itself off if it gets too hot and this is tough on the battery. One myth about your phone’s battery is that it won’t hurt it to use a fast charger. However, it will hurt the battery if you routinely let it drain all the way down to zero.